Gravitec Student Carabiner Race
Why a Carabiner Race?
There have been long-standing misconceptions that automatic locking carabiners are too difficult to open or are not as secure as the screw-gate or twist-lock. With practice, training, and time, Gravitec has found that automatic locking carabiners are more efficient and safer.
Gravitec created the Carabiner Race in order to show that automatic locking carabiners take some skill but once you get the hang of them they are one of the quickest and safest options for your fall protection gear.
Do you have what it takes?
Welcome to the 1st Annual of Gravitec’s Student Carabiner Race! A skills competition where five carabiners must be placed on to corresponding anchor straps as fast as possible, but also correctly.
Are you up to the challenge? Here’s how it works:
- Each year consists of 4 quarters:
- At the start of class, you will be provided with official competition entry slip. You must give this to your instructor before you compete.
- A competition will be held each training day from 12:45pm to 1:00pm.
- You must have completed your race before the end of the week to be considered for the weekly prize. More on that below.
- We will announce the weekly winner at 4:00pm each Friday.
- Once a competitor’s time is recorded, it will appear on the Gravitec website within a couple days.
There will be prizes awarded for weekly, quarterly, and yearly winners, as well as bragging rights.
Rules of the Race
1. Both hands must start on the timer to begin the race.
2. As soon as you remove your hands from the pressure sensitive timer, it will start timing. Once both hands are placed back on the pressure pad, the time will stop.
3. The player must only use one hand.
4. You may not use other parts of your body or things around you to assist you (i.e. Hip, stomach, chest, or structures around you)
5. The competitor must open and secure 5 different carabiners to the anchor strap provided.
6. The carabiners being used will always be these 5 carabiners in the order below.
7. All Carabiners must be completely secured on the anchor straps.
8. Any carabiners that are not locked onto the anchor are considered a failed attempt and the competitor’s time will be forfeited.
9. YOU ONLY GET ONE CHANCE, so be sure to secure your carabiner before moving on.
10. To stop your time, both hands must return to their original position on the timer.
11. You are in control of your time, so don’t forget to tap out!
Frequently Asked Questions
Will the Carabiners always be the same?
Yes, they will always be the same 5 carabiners. (See image above)
- Start from left to right, each carabiner will go in order of progression of current technology.
Can I practice beforehand?
Absolutely, you can practice as much as you like. In fact, we encourage it!
How many chances do I get?
You only get one shot, as soon as you tell your instructor that you are ready to give your official time then that will be the time that is recorded on our leaderboard. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Can I submit my time from home?
No, all official times must be recorded in our facility during one of our training courses.
Can I use gloves?
You may wear gloves, but it is not a requirement.