Competent Person (Fall Protection)
Gravitec’s Competent Person (Fall Protection) is an intensive program that covers the use, selection and installation of conventional and non-conventional fall protection equipment. This course also addresses relevant fall protection regulations and fall hazard identification. These components, combined with the hands-on set-up of fall protection systems, instill a working knowledge of all the essential elements of a fall protection program. The course curriculum includes both classroom sessions and practical hands-on exercises. Written and practical tests are administered to ensure that students understand the principles presented. Documentation is available to satisfy your company’s due diligence and regulatory requirements.
This course is not a fall protection trainer course. Participants who complete this course are not endorsed to conduct fall protection training. Refer to the Fall Protection Trainer Course for information about becoming a fall protection trainer.
This course meets the Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health, and Environmental Training (ANSI/ASSE Z490.1), the highest industry standard for training. It also meets the requirements of ANSI/ASSE Z359.2, Minimum Requirements for a Comprehensive Managed Fall Protection Program, found in the ANSI/ASSE Z359 Fall Protection Code.
Gravitec can supply all necessary fall protection equipment for this course.
CALL GRAVITEC'S TRAINING ADVISORS AT 1.800.755.8455 FOR MORE INFORMATION
5 Days (40 Hours)
Minimum 8, Maximum 10 (1 Instructor)
Minimum 14, Maximum 20 (2 Instructors)
March 27 – March 31, 2023
April 17 – April 21, 2023
May 15 – May 19, 2023
June 12 – June 16, 2023
July 17 – July 21, 2023
Aug. 14 – Aug. 18, 2023
Sept. 11 – Sept. 15, 2023
Oct. 2 – Oct. 6, 2023
Oct. 23 – Oct. 27, 2023
Nov. 6 – Nov. 10, 2023
Dec. 11 – Dec. 15, 2023
Upon completion of this course, students will be capable of identifying existing and predictable fall hazards in the workplace and taking corrective measures to eliminate them through the selection, installation and use of appropriate fall protection systems. The Fall Protection Competent Person will be capable of implementing and managing (in a supervisory capacity) fall protection systems in a variety of locations and conditions.
- Fundamentals of Fall Protection
- Anchorage Requirements
- Energy Absorbing Lanyards
- Function and Purpose of Energy Absorbers
- Fall Protection Hardware Compatibility
- Work Positioning Systems
- Inspecting Fall Protection Systems
- Installing Fall Protection Systems
- Calculating Required Clearances
- Selecting Fall Protection System Components
- Fall Protection and Fall Arrest Theory
- Hierarchy of Fall Protection
- Conventional Fall Protection (Guarding Systems)
- Standards and Regulations Affecting the Fall Protection Industry
- Recognizing and Identifying Fall Hazards
- Common Commercially Available Fall Arrest Systems
- Donning a Full Body Harness
- Self-Retracting Lifelines
- Vertical Lifelines
- Horizontal Lifelines
- Engineered Horizontal Lifelines
- Ladder Climbing Devices
- Rescue Theory
- Troubleshooting Fall Restraint Systems and Fall Arrest Systems
- Setting Up and Using Temporary Systems
- Fall Protection Plans and Fall Protection Procedures
- Detailed Inspection, Care and Maintenance
- Specialty Fall Arrest Systems
- Rescue and Applications in Fall Protection
- Fall Arrest and Restraint Systems
- Fall Protection Regulations (OSHA) and Fall Protection Standards (ANSI)
Students will receive a plastic wallet certificate of attendance, Gravitec’s Competent Fall Protection Person Manual and access to our toll-free number for ongoing technical assistance.
Gravitec is accredited by IACET
to offer 4.0 CEUs for this program.