Assistant Director of Engineering
Gravitec Systems, Inc. has been an industry leader in the field of fall protection for over 30 years. Working with owners, architects, and contractors, we provide innovative turn-key engineering and training solutions for our clients’ fall protection needs worldwide.
Gravitec Systems, Inc. is seeking an Assistant Director of Engineering to help lead our diverse team of engineers, drafters, installation technicians, and fabricators located in Poulsbo, WA. This is an ideal opportunity for an engineer who thrives on out-of-the-box thinking and the prospect of providing custom solutions for complex issues at height. The right candidate will have a track record of bringing passion, a strong work ethic and the technical expertise needed to lead our team in a collaborative work environment. This is a unique leadership opportunity for a driven manager to work on a diverse portfolio of projects and with an extraordinary list of clients.
- Oversee project development by setting expectations, goals, and timelines for direct reports.
- Assist in the personnel management of engineering and testing department staff to include training/mentorship and professional growth. May be involved in the hiring and performance reviews of certain positions.
- Assist with managing the team’s technical skill sets, capabilities and areas for improvement as well as achieving annual goals.
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems; develop and implement improvements where necessary.
- Assist the DOE in the appropriate delegation of projects and workflow.
- Coordinate scheduling of personnel, internal teams, and asset management.
- Assist the DOE in ensuring personnel are operating withing approved budgets and timeframes.
- Time review, and PTO approvals, of all engineering/testing department staff, in DOE absence
- Review project expense reports and personnel per diem payments.
- Review and approve purchase orders over $1500 in value (shared role with DOE).
- Assist the DOE in review of contracts, contract negotiations, and sub-contract development.
- Assist the DOE in the development and coordinate the execution of departmental goals.
- Preparing, and review of, engineered fall protection solutions for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements and related specifications – to include signing responsibilities (shared role).
- Designing, and review of, engineered fall protection solutions.
- Preparing, and review of, design calculations of fall protection systems and analyses of existing systems and structures.
- Preparing, and review of, hazard assessment surveys.
- Preparing, and review of, inspections of existing fall protections systems.
- Coordinate the procurement and/or fabrication of fall protection products and solutions.
- Manage the installation of fall protection systems.
- Reviewing designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements and related specifications.
- Bachelors or Masters of Science in Civil Engineering (ABET Accredited) with either Structural or Construction Management emphasis.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Department Manager, or similar supporting role, for an engineering department, preferably in a design/build industry.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience managing projects and project teams.
- Civil PE or SE required. Washington State SE preferred.
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind.
- Experience developing budgets, scheduling and Gantt Charts.
- Strong technical background and analytical abilities.
- Working knowledge of building codes and applicable standards.
- Experience designing with various construction materials including steel, wood and concrete.
- Working knowledge of current industry software including AutoCAD, MS Office, MS Projects (or similar project management software – BuilderTrend, Sage Timberline, Procore, etc.), RISA-3D, Autodesk Inventor; Mathcad a plus.
- OSHA 30 and PMP a plus.
- Previous experience with fall protection a plus.
- Includes travel, approximately 25%.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Life Insurance
- Paid vacation, sick time and holidays.
- 401(k) savings and matching program.
Reports to: Director of Engineering
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt / Full Time
For consideration for this position, apply at www.gravitec.com. Please include your cover letter, resume, and reference this position title.
If you have any questions, please contact our Human Resources Department for additional information. Gravitec is committed to providing a non-discriminatory employment environment for its applicants and employees. We ensure equal opportunities for qualified applicants and employees regardless of minority, gender, disability, or veteran status.